Subject: Re: Put it in laymen's terms
From: bruce@perens.com
Date: 31 Jul 1999 18:15:30 -0000

It's a moot point for Linux because of the following exception to the GPL:

	NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
	services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
	of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
	Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
	Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
	kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

			Linus Torvalds

IMO, when the GPL was written there wasn't much use of dynamic libraries and
there were no object broker programs, thus the language was different than it
would be today. We can no longer constrain people from creating derived works
of _software_ solely within the domain of copyright law as it is presently
written.

	Thanks

	Bruce