Subject: RE: newsforge story
From: Russell Nelson <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:46:17 -0400 (EDT) writes:
 > I would like to pick up on a couple of points to
 > this list, and to the OSI:
 > "Board member Russ Nelson says that people who
 > are complaining should put forth more effort to
 > help the board by fulfilling the purpose of the
 > license-discuss list: to discuss the merits of
 > submissions and offer suggestions to the
 > board. "I submitted three licenses on 8/31 for
 > review to the license-discuss mailing list. Has
 > anybody reviewed them?" "
 > I never saw them - wether this is a fault at my
 > end or yours remains to be seen. However, as it
 > seems that others have looked in the archive and
 > not found such emails I am puzzled.

Sorry, it was only two licenses:

 > "Members briefly bandied about a suggestion to
 > form volunteer focus groups for each pending
 > license; but there was no official public
 > response from the OSI to the license-discuss
 > list, and it seemed that was what the list was
 > waiting for."

I see no need for volunteer focus groups.  Comment on the licenses
that have been sent to the list.  Use the mailing list for what it was
created for.

 > Now I am happy to do work implementing this and
 > working with it once it is implemented. Can we
 > have a reply from the board as to this
 > possibility?

"So okay, my feeling is to write these folks off
as whingers. My opinion is subject to change, but
first I want to see some discussion about the
submitted licenses." - Russ Nelson

Since I wrote that, I've been seeing some commentary; in particular
about the RTSP Proxy License.  Good job!

-russ nelson <>
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | The most basic moral/ethical
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | question is who gets to use
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | force, and when -- ESR
license-discuss archive is at