Subject: Re: YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)
From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Myers scripsit:

> > ...it introduces a novel obligation to disclose one's private affairs.
> > The licence must not attach any obligations to usage of the covered code
> > that is entirely internal to the non-public affairs of the individual or
> > organisation using it.
>
> Well, that's the GPL out for starters. :-)

I'm not sure what the smiley face means in this connection, but the GPL
imposes no such obligation to the world at large.  If you distribute a
derivative work, you are obliged to distribute the original *to the recipients
of the derivative work*; likewise, if you distribute binaries, you are obliged
to distribute source *to the recipients of the binaries*.

If you distribute only to your partner, or to the people of your organization,
or to Bill Gates, then your further obligations involve distributing only
to your partner/your people/BillG.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,