Subject: Re: The Invisible Hand
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:51:53 -0400 (EDT)

Martin Konold writes:
 > According to RMS the only way to become free software aka "GPL compatible"
 > is either to have it GPL licensed or allow for conversion/relicensing to
 > GPL.

I believe this is an accurate statement.  Since the GPL requires that
GPL'ed software have no extra restrictions placed on it, and a
combined work must comply with all preceding licenses, then any
combination of GPL+[other license] must have the same terms as the
GPL.  So it may as well *be* the GPL for all practical purposes.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's a crime, not an act
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | of war.  For my take, see:
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | http://quaker.org/crime.html