Subject: Re: Is inherited class a derivative work?
From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 01:20:44 -0400 (EDT)

David Johnson scripsit:

> A derivative work must contain at least portions of the original work.

I know what you mean, but that's poorly worded.  Translations, for example,
don't contain any literal portion of the original, but are paradigm cases
of derivative works.

> Dependency alone does not constitute derivation.

Just so.  A classic instance is the C Answer Book, which contains answers
to the problems in K&R.  Although it absolutely depends on K&R for its
meaning, it is a completely independent work from the copyright standpoint.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,