Subject: Re: Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:34:48 -0500 (EST)

Forrest J. Cavalier III writes:
 > Any software license which restricts use to only publicly available
 > GPL'ed OSs, (the way their patent license does), would obviously fail
 > to meet the OSD.

But it doesn't restrict use to only publicly available GPL'ed OSs.
Certain software which falls under patents may require a patent
license, yes.  But that's already the case with the BSD license.  And
I'm sure that you think that the BSD license is GPL-compatible Open
Source Free Software.

The presence of the patent grant does not harm anyone.

 > Tell me why you have to put the OSI's good name on this.

The only way we can reject a license is to point to the OSD term which
it violates.

 > There
 > is no precedent for it.  (The GPL may not play nice with other
 > licenses, but it restricts copying, not use.)

The BSD+Patent license doesn't restrict use either.  The patent system
restricts use.  The BSD+Patent license grants use.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Why are we still fighting
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | the war on drugs when there
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | is a real war to fight?