Subject: Re: RFC soon on essay "Does Free Software Production in a Bazaarobey the Law of Diminishing Returns?"
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:20:10 -0400

Miguel de Icaza <>:
> A problem I have with OpenSource these days is the following: even if
> these days Qt passes as OpenSource, it is really annoying for
> developers.  All of these "opensource" licenses that have started
> appearing are nothing but a big nuisance.

I agree with you.  I lobby hard for corporations to use one of the
four classic licenses (MIT, BSD, GPL, Artistic) rather than rolling
their own.  I don't always succeed.

But look on the bright side.  The APSL and the IBMPL don't create
patchwork problems.  They're a heck of a precedent.

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring
one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their
own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the
mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good
government, and all that is necessary to close the circle of our
	-- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address