Subject: Re: Two GPL Questions
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:05:56 -0800

begin Chris D. Sloan quotation:

> That can only be done if the all of the relevent copyright holders can
> be found and their permissions obtained, right?

I believe the gentleman's hypothetical concerned specifically software
available to recipients under GPL v. 2 "or any later version".  So, the
answer to your question is "No, they've already given that permission in

> Assume there is a program called foo which is licensed under GPL v. 2
> or, at your option any later version.  Can I make a change to that
> program and release [my] version of foo under only GPL v. 2?

You can make any (lawful) terms you wish apply to your own additions.[1]
You have no power to change other people's terms, pertaining to
their code.

[1] If those terms are compatible with those of the codebase you're
modifying, then you and others might even be able to lawfully distribute
the result.

This message falsely claims to have been scanned for viruses with F-Secure
Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange and to have been found clean.
license-discuss archive is at