Subject: RE: NCSA Open Source License
From: "Lawrence E. Rosen" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:13:28 -0800

> From: [] On Behalf Of Chris Gray
> Subject: Re: NCSA Open Source License
> I don't think they need to create a separate ``trademark
> license''.  They just need to make sure that anyone who might
> consider releasing a product based on Apache is not entitled
> to use the Apache name: this is what we did on
> <URL:>,
> and both our legal dept. and FSF[1] are happy with that.

Certainly nobody *needs* to create a trademark license.  And they
*should* tell licensees that the license does not include the trademark.
What I was saying is that they can't simply license their trademark, in
a general license available to all, for use on derivative works.

/Larry Rosen

license-discuss archive is at