Subject: Re: Limiting the use of an OpenSource application
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 20:01:43 -0800

Quoting John Richter (

> I ask this because this requirement puts companies with "ethical
> practices" rules in a strange position. A company might have a rule
> saying that it won't do business with companies that use sweatshop
> labor, for example. They couldn't release any code they wrote as open
> source, because to do so could violate their ethical practices rule (a
> sweatshop-using company might decide to use their open source
> accounting software, for example).

Please pardon a (mayhap) silly question:  How could it be considered
"doing business" for an unknown third party to independently decide
to use one's software without any kind of exchange transaction?

Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."                        -- Brian Trosko in r.a.sf.w.r-j
license-discuss archive is at