Subject: RE: Model Code for the OSD
From: "Lawrence E. Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:09:04 -0800

 Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:09:04 -0800
> > My opinion is that "deliberately obfuscated source code" should be
> > decoupled
> > from documentation. The quality and state of documentation is very
> > subjective, and should not be a part of the OSD.
>
> IMHO that was meant to exclude people from publishing their
> source code after it had been fed through an obfuscator,
> which not only strips comments, but changes identifiers from
> meaningful names to barely distinguishable strings of gibberish.

Precisely!  You are not required to create high-quality documentation,
but if you do you should make it available along with the source code in
"the preferred form ... for making modifications."  (OSL 3.)  I heard a
story about one company (Tivo was the company identified, but I can't
vouch for the accuracy of the report) that is deliberately keeping its
published documentation to a minimum in their Linux contributions
because they want to retain a proprietary competitive advantage.  I
think that's not playing fair.  It seems to me that's honoring the
letter, but not the spirit, of the GPL.

/Larry Rosen