Subject: Re: Optimal license for Java projects ...
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:22:09 -0800

Quoting David Johnson (

> IIRC correctly, the only proprietary fork of BSD after it became
> unencumbered was NeXT. It would be interesting to hear from Steve Jobs
> why he made NeXT closed but Darwin open. I suspect it was due to the
> pressure of trying to keep a closed fork in sync with a moving open
> target.

Yes, I think he made the reasonable judgement that maintaining a
separate fork behind closed doors was no longer remotely justifiable,
economically.  And Darwin, indeed, proved upon public release to be in a
very sorry state, compared to FreeBSD.  The Darwin community plus
ex-Wind River people hired on by Apple have been very busy bring it back
up to date.

Cheers,   If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, then C++ gives you enough
Rick Moen    to bind and gag your neighbourhood, rig the sails on a small ship,    and still have enough to hang yourself from the yardarm.
license-discuss archive is at