Subject: Re: get ready
From: <phred@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:54:29 -0700 (PDT)

My recollection of Patricia Samuelson's talk at the Open Source Developer Day
last August was that she was more favorable to the enforceability of the GPL,
NatePuri.  I don't want to beat a horse that may already be dead, but this
gets very close to the heart of the purpose of this list to begin with,
which is enforceability of a given license within the context of open source.

I'd be interested if you or others have further thoughts specifically on
enforceability with regard to the GPL and other open source-like licenses.

phred

PS  My understanding is that rights to enforce a trademark arise from
    actual use of the mark, but you can't enforce the rights without
    registering it.  Thus, if the GPL hasn't been registered, it might
    be considered a trademark but wouldn't be enforceable as such.