Subject: Re: Facts please
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:01:21 -0700

Quoting Nick Moffitt (

> Therefore, the first recorded use of the BSD license that I
> see is Net/1 [June 1989], and the first use of the BSD license for the
> whole distribution (rather than just the TCP stack and libraries) is
> Net/2 [June 1991].  Prior to that, distribution was internal to
> existing Unix licensees, and kind of lived under the radar of official
> release and licensing.

Good work!  I somehow forgot that passage.  So, the BSD licence dates to
sometime during Keith Bostic's work updating 4.3BSD-Tahoe (1986 on), and
went public in June 1989.  Thanks.

This message falsely claims to have been scanned for viruses with F-Secure
Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange and to have been found clean.
license-discuss archive is at