Subject: Re: OSD#5 needs a patch?
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:04:43 -0700

Quoting Chuck Swiger (chuck@codefab.com):

[Ian Lance Taylor:]

> >I believe that a license can be OSD-compliant without being
> >OSI-approved.
>
> Interesting.  Is this because you believe that the OSD is incomplete
> and that it should disallow more licenses, or is this because you
> believe that OSI approval should not be the same as "OSD compliant"?

It's a simple statement of fact, Chuck.  Think process:  E.g., I write a
licence with careful attention to the principles of open source.  Et
voila!  It's OSD-compliant.  But the OSI Board haven't even yet seen it,
and therefore it's not OSI-approved, and software using it cannot
lawfully bear the related service mark.  If I never submit it for
review, that situation persists.

--
Cheers,                          "The only good goth is a shoggoth...."
Rick Moen                           -- Alistair J.R. Young, in r.a.sf.w.r-j