Subject: Re: Silly question: are usage restrictions covered by the OSD?
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:12:09 -0700

Quoting Chris F Clark (cfc@TheWorld.com):

> Perhaps a clause of the OSD should read that "the license should not
> discriminate against (or prohibit) any form of usage which is not
> already proscribed by copyright law".  That would be a very strong
> bound on what open source licenses can regulate.

A possibly silly question of my own:  If a particular form of usage is
already proscribed by copyright law, then wouldn't it be pretty much
pointless for a licence to "discriminate against or prohibit" it?

If so, then the clause "the license should not discriminate against (or
prohibit) any form of usage" would seem functionally equivalent -- and
shorter.

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature  to help me spread.
Hi!p I'm a .signature spread virus! Copy into your ~/.signature to help me