Subject: Re: mysql
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:53:23 -0800

Quoting Brian Behlendorf (

> No, the terms in the BSD license can not be removed by someone
> redistributing the work, or even a derived work from a BSD-licensed work
> that is under a different license.  One can *add* new terms, though,
> which the GPL forbids.

A further quibble:  Such new terms can apply only to code additions.
Third-party coders cannot "add new terms" to the original codebase, as
they lack title.

(Your derivative work based on my original BSD-licensed one might not
furnish a clean copy of my upstream source code, but issues of source
access are distinct from those of terms.)

Cheers,                             * Contributing Editor, Linux Gazette *
Rick Moen                       -*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-                       <>
license-discuss archive is at