Subject: Re: Which License should I pick?
From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:15:35 -0500

Scott Long scripsit:

> The difference being, a core file actually contains executable
> instructions from the original binary on disk. My format is different --
> it only contains the DIFFERENCES between what is in memory and what is on
> disk. So I'm wondering if my snapshots are derived works or not.

Probably not.  Although no court has ruled on the point, the community
does not usually treat diffs or patches as derivative works.  Analogously,
the _C Answer Book_ was not a derivative work of K & R, although it
consisted solely of someone else's answers to the questions posed in
that book.

--
John Cowan                              jcowan@reutershealth.com
http://www.reutershealth.com            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan