Subject: Re: compatibility and the OSD
From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:13:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> You know, in the extremely unlikely event that anyone ever _uses_
> AAL and creates an executable that produces no output (embedded
> system, etc.), I'll bet just running it such that it would have
> produced a splash screen if there _had_ been an output screen would
> suffice to avoid the Wrath of Judge.

The amount of RAM required to add a "would have produced"
functionality may be prohibitively large to reuse pieces of AAL code
in embedded software (think nanonetworks, for example).

> Is this really worth spending time on?  Or can we just all agree
> that it's an obnoxious, non-starter licence and move on?

Is there a process for de-certifying an OSI-certified license. Can an
OSI-certified license lose its certification?

If not, it may be a good idea to at least warn OSI web site readers
that AAL may actually violate OSD terms and must not be used in any
examples. Otherwise, I am sure these long arguments will re-appear,
especially as new technologies make it more difficult to stay
technology neutral.

Alex.