Subject: Re: compatibility and the OSD
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:42:02 -0700

Quoting Ernest Prabhakar (prabhaka@apple.com):

> Conversely, it may well be worthwhile to consider alternate means of
> achieving your desired result.  Care to share *why* you're concerned
> about incompatibility?

Yes, one cannot help wondering if there's a particular practical issue
lurking in the background, when a senior Sun engineer starts picking at
the bleached bones of distribution restrictions, and talking about ties
between same and certification regimes.  I don't mean to put Bob
personally on the spot, in that regard, since he might well be just
exploring the issue for his own curiosity -- but one cannot help
thinking about the upcoming Solaris source release, plus the recent
flap visited upon ASF regarding certification and trademark issues for
the Apache J2EE licence.