Subject: Re: For Approval: Academic Citing License
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:04:00 -0700

Quoting David Burley (

> Our stance ( is straightforward. We require that the
> software meet the Open Source Definition as provided by the Open
> Source Initiative.

Hmm.  Searching the Trove database by licence category, one finds:

      OSI Approved (55076 projects)
      Other/Proprietary License (948 projects)
      Public Domain (1524 projects)

That's 1524 + 948 = 2472 counter-examples.

I used to believe what you said, too (as I'm sure you did when you said
that), and so was surprised to get the above results in 2000 when I
discovered it.  Just to save you the trouble, I brought the
matter to SourceForge management:  They very politely told me that it
doesn't matter.

Cheers,                        Open-source SourceForge retakes the lead:
Rick Moen              Thank you, Tim Perdue.