Subject: Re: AW: For Approval: Some License Or Another
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2004 10:08:36 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> Perhaps it would help if you stated your goals more clearly.  If your
> goal is a version of the GPL which is fully supported by German and
> European law, then automatic license update seems orthogonal to that.
> The regular GPL does not have automatic update--as you know, the usual
> GPL phrasing is "either version 2 of the License, or (at your option)
> any later version."  So your goal is not simply a version of the GPL
> supported by German and European law.  So what is your goal?

I'll note further that proprietary software doesn't have automatic
license update either.  If I purchase software from Microsoft, it
comes with a specific license.  Microsoft does not have a provision in
which my software will automatically come under a new license as soon
as I become aware of it; nor does any other proprietary software
vendor.  (Microsoft does of course use a new license for new releases
and new updates.)  So what you are looking for here is really unusual.

Ian