Subject: RE:Re: An explanation of the difficulty of solving licenseproliferation in one sentence
From: <mkenny3@cwctv.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:57:19 +0000
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:57:19 +0000
two sentences!!!Gratuitous licence proliferation.see rule4 +# =rule under licence nm
APACHE JYX3YES MK._

michael

From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:51:18 -0800

Quoting Fink, Martin R (martin.fink@hp.com):

> In my view, the community creates loads of really cool software.  I will
> note at this point that the community is now also made up of lots of
> people from those evil corporations.

I'm sure individuals at OSI are, in their individual capacities at a
least, delighted with HP's commitment to open source other than when
it's inconvenient.  (How's OpenMail doing these days, by the way, and is
the post of open source evangelist still vacant?  Has HP finally managed
to grow a backbone concerning employees acting to protect fair use
against DMCA obstacles to playing DVDs on Linux?)  But I imagine that
OSI as an institution is focussed on the long view, which concerns code
and licensing, and not the DEC^wCompaq^wHP logo on this year's pay cheques.

That having been said, I think there was and is broad agreement, handily
predating your involvement, that OSI's process to date hasn't done
enough to discourage _gratuitous_ licence proliferation.  In particular,
the notion of a recommended licence list has obvious merit, as do sundry
notions of how to cluebat those who immediately resort to vanity
licences.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                    Magnus frater spectat te.