Subject: Re: planning new project.
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2005 11:38:54 -0500

Benjamin Rossen <b.rossen@onsnet.nu> writes:

> I am planning to invest US$50,000 in developing a software package for an
> e-commerce application, and we are thinking of putting the package out as a
> new Open Source Project. The most likely code base at this time is Java.
> However, Java itself is not Open Source - although Sun seems to be making
> tentative movements in that direction. What are the implications for
> obtaining an OSL?

There are open source implementations of Java, although I don't think
any of them have complete library support.  In any case, it is common
to run open source applications on proprietary platforms such as MS
Windows.  The fact that Sun's Java platform is not open source should
not affect the open source status of your project.

Ian