Subject: Re: "Open Source Constitution"?
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:00:19 -0700

Quoting Andrew Aitken (

> I'd like to know if the OSI Board has had any conversations with the
> folks at CA and/or Sun about this? Danase? Their goal is a fine one
> but their selection of CDDL as the potential template is certainly
> alarming.

I can't imagine why.  It's a perfectly fine, well crafted weak-copyleft
open source licence.

> Plus I hope they do not plan on using the word "constitution" in the
> license or for marketing purposes. That term has many powerful
> emotional associations I personlly believe are most appropriate for
> something developed by the community and in the spirit of "free"
> software not "commercial open source" software.

If they do, this would hardly be the first time a marketing effort
has made itself look silly in public through use of overblown language.
The sky would not fall.

Cheers,               No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
Rick Moen             We do concede, though, that a large number of electrons   were terribly inconvenienced.