Subject: Re: "Open Source Constitution"?
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:00:19 -0700

Quoting Andrew Aitken (andrew@olliancegroup.com):

> I'd like to know if the OSI Board has had any conversations with the
> folks at CA and/or Sun about this? Danase? Their goal is a fine one
> but their selection of CDDL as the potential template is certainly
> alarming.

I can't imagine why.  It's a perfectly fine, well crafted weak-copyleft
open source licence.

> Plus I hope they do not plan on using the word "constitution" in the
> license or for marketing purposes. That term has many powerful
> emotional associations I personlly believe are most appropriate for
> something developed by the community and in the spirit of "free"
> software not "commercial open source" software.

If they do, this would hardly be the first time a marketing effort
has made itself look silly in public through use of overblown language.
The sky would not fall.

--
Cheers,               No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
Rick Moen             We do concede, though, that a large number of electrons