Subject: Re: industry-specific desktops?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:33:46 -0700
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:33:46 -0700
on Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 01:46:20PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net) wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:23:19AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf
> >(brian@collab.net) wrote:
> >>
> >>Anyone know of any company offering Linux desktops customized for
> >>particular industries/commercial tasks?  A reporter called asking about
> >>such a thing, and I had through I'd heard of this in the medical office
> >>space, but it might have been some other industry.  Point-of-sale systems
> >>kind of count, I guess...
> >
> >Lots of Knoppix varieties, including medicine, bioinformatics, security,
> >and the like.  Not "desktop" in the traditional sense, though they can
> >certainly be installed to hard drive rather than run live.
>
> Very nice - though I'm specifically interested in *companies* behind those
> distributions, willing to come in and provide support for the desktop
> software and machines themselves, possibly in combination with other
> industry-specific software on a back-end server somewhere and other
> support services.

Right.  I guess that business rags tend to obsess over ... businesses.

Progeny remains a good starting point, I've pinged Ian.  Word on the
street is that Debian customization is what he talks, RH support is what
he bills.

There's an outfit behind LTSP, and some of the others listed may have
organizations behind them.  Knoppix is related to Knopper's consulting
work...

Part of the issue is that there's  not  a heck of a lot of difference
between some community projects and "commercial" distros -- what with
Mepis and Slackware, for example, largely being single-man efforts.
Which speeks to both the scale and ability of putting something like
this together:  it's not much more than a one-man show.  Greatest
strength/weakness thing.

How's someone like SpikeSource fit into this space?  They're a bit
ill-defined to me so far.

Peace.

    Yes, but how do you associate preferred programs for those MIME types?
    - Adam Hooper, demonstrating why GNOME is reinventing Unix.  Poorly.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]