Subject: Re: It's Still Free Software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 17 Feb 1998 03:55:10 -0000

Richard Stallman writes:
 > Years ago, free software developers noticed this discomfort reaction,
 > and some started exploring an approach for avoiding it.  They figured
 > that by keeping quiet about ethics and freedom, and talking only about
 > the immediate practical benefits of certain free software, they might
 > be able to "sell" the software more effectively to certain users,
 > especially business.  The term "open source" is offered as a way of
 > doing more of this--a way to be "more acceptable to business".
 >
 > This approach has proved effective, as far as it goes.  Today many
 > people are switching to free software for purely practical reasons.
 > But that isn't all we need to do!  Attracting users to free software
 > is not the whole job, just the first step.

Hehe.  This is not a new discussion.  Christians have been talking
about it for nearly two millenia.  Does one have to know the name of
Christ in order to be saved?  Or is it sufficient to know Christ,
regardless of what you call him, to be saved?

Guess what: we Christians still haven't decided.  And neither do I
believe the members of this list will, or should decide it on this
list.  It's just not the right forum.  I would suggest that interested
parties discuss it on gnu.misc.discuss.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson