Subject: Re: US Software Patents Hit Record High (fwd)
From: Federico Lucifredi <flucifredi@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:31:05 -0400

Also, that scenario does not exist any longer (coming up to the market
with a solution before others can even think of the problem),

The reality is that there are so many companies working on any given
"problem" that what you really have to come up with before you hit the
market is the best customer value in terms of differentiators from the
inevitable competing offerings.

John Chambers insisted on this point quite a bit recently at his MIT
appearence - and with good reason. Presuming others do not see the
problem you are trying to solve is naive at best.

 best -F

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:31 -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Bullcookies.   And I speak from personal experience.  (I'm assuming
> we're talking about this in the context of free software licensing
> which
> explicitly sets aside the incentives copyright or patents would
> otherwise
> create.)
>

> -t
>

> simo wrote:

> > > I'm not opposed to creating incentives for people who anticipate unobvious
> > > questions and then, when the question becomes shared, just "happen to have"
> > > the right sized wrench.
> > >

> > The reward already exist in the system in the form that if you are smart
> > enough, you come up to the market with a solution before others can even
> > think of the problem. So you have a 1-2 years competitive advantage over
> > competition that have to run to get to it.
> >
> > Copyright is a great enabler for competition, patents are a great
> > barrier to competition, and we _want_ competition in our market, right?
> >
> > Simo.

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - http://www.lucifredi.com