Subject: Re: small worlds and better than ransom
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:03:03 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> NB I would very much like to find a way that open source as *you would
> like to do it* can regularly be commercially successful.  But I don't
> think prepurchase is the way.

Also, it seems to me that the only alternative to using
pre-purchases to influence "the community" is to try
to participate directly in the community at a social and
political level.   Taking that latter route puts firms in
the business of trading endorsements and threatening
defamations and other political power plays: not a good
long-term way to make true friends in "the community".

Pre-purchases could be understood as, simply, a mark
of professionalism.

-t