Subject: Re: Competition by internal expertise for F/OSS vendors
From: Tim O'Reilly <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:07:53 -0700
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:07:53 -0700

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Thomas Lord wrote:
> From a labor perspective, it is as if the free software movement
> and open source crowd came together to build the ultimate
> platform for proprietary software, gratis.   If that had been our
> goal, we should be popping champagne corks.

FWIW, I've been saying that for years.  See The Open Source Paradigm
Shift:  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/articles/
paradigmshift_0504.html

Or even earlier, see my warnings to Richard Stallman at the Wizards
of OS conference in 1999:
http://tim.oreilly.com/archives/mikro_age_of_infoware.pdf

This is just one more step in that direction.

And also FWIW, I've been castigated as recently as last year by the
FSF for saying that.  See my attempt to interview Eben Moglen about
this issue at OSCON 2007:  http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/08/my-
tonguelashing-from-eben-mog.html

Eben wasn't having any, preferring to ascribe my talking about Web
2.0 as pandering to the money folks, rather than seeing that I'd been
warning that the F/OSS crowd had better watch where their innovations
were taking the industry.

Lots of good things about web 2.0, including an architecture of
participation at the user data layer, but freedom it ain't.  It could
have been different if the F/OSS community had recognized a long time
ago that this was about more than software, and the implications for
free software when software moved to the cloud.

But this isn't all bad.  The world is a better place than it was in
1999.  Just has new challenges.  Fighting the old wars doesn't get us
anywhere.  What is the right battle to fight for user freedom today?
Tim O'Reilly, Founder and CEO, O'Reilly Media
707-827-7150   tim@oreilly.com
http://www.oreilly.com, http://radar.oreilly.com