Subject: Re: Gimp Copyright issues
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 6 Jul 1998 05:31:59 -0000

jsshapiro@earthlink.net writes:
 > Surely someone out there has built binary plagiarism tools.  Does
 > anyone know of such?

When Persoft stole packet driver code, I ran my code through a
disassembler, then ran their code through a disassembler, blinded the
addresses, did some hand work to make the identical code line up, then
printed them side by side.  50% of the code was line-for-line
identical.  Most of the other changes were gratuitious code movement
from one place to another.  The small remainder were actual code
changes, including stripping out of my copyright.

Which is to answer your question in the negative.

--
-russ <rn-sig@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson