Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 24 Aug 1998 03:02:32 -0000

Adam P. Harris writes:
 > I agree with you, but I would argue that Sun is in trouble because of
 > their inability to really take stock of the meaning of Linux, and to
 > incorporate this into their business plan.  SCO thought giving away
 > their OS would help them; AFAIK, it didn't.

They mistook the effect of libre software for that of gratis software.

 > I think Sun's position is an interesting one, and instructive to this
 > group.  Obviously, Sun is deeply entrenced in the proprietary Unix
 > camp.

Yup.  Presuming that the free market continues to rule, what will die
is not commercial OSes.  What will die is proprietary OSes.  Not Unix.
Not Microsoft.  Proprietary.  If your OS is in the targets of Linux,
and you don't want your OS to die, better make it libre.

It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does.  The same thing that
they did to QuarterDesk, FTP Software, and others, is going to happen
to them.