Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 11 Nov 1998 15:31:50 -0000

Brian Bartholomew writes:
 > I'm having a moral problem again with charging all the traffic will
 > bear for a product that is only valued so high because the customers
 > don't know any better.

You make a mistake here.  You assume that "because the customers don't
know any better" is an easily solvable problem.  It isn't.  It takes
money and it provides value.  That's where RedHat makes its money.
Like any other profitable company, it wants value returned for value
given.  Unless you have a problem with commerce (and I recognize that
some people do, but they're unlikely to be made happy by being on this
list), then there is no moral problem.

You can't wish away transaction costs.