Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 11 Nov 1998 16:35:08 -0000

Scott Goehring writes:
 > "Russell" == Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:
 >
 > Russell> You can't wish away transaction costs.
 >
 > It seems to me that (willful) ignorance of transaction costs is a
 > large part of the mindset of the most ardent free software advocates.

Well yeah.  Some people think that just because you aren't creating a
transaction cost anymore (licensing) that all the other transaction
costs go away (I must note that RMS is not one of them).  I view the
function of this list as helping us to identify the remaining
transaction costs, so we can make money by addressing them.  Many
companies make a lot of money addressing friction in machinery (Quaker
State, Pennzoil, Timpkin, etc).  There's still a lot of friction in
free software.  I see no reason why we can't grow the market for free
software and make Bob Young's $500 million market back into a $5
billion market.  :)

The Luddites revolted against machinery which made knitting more
efficient, but 40 years later the knitting industry employed more
people than were put out of work.  Not to mention that clothing became
much cheaper for everyone including the Luddites.

Oops, did I say Luddites?  I meant to say Microsofties, poster
children for proprietary software.  :)