Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 12 Nov 1998 16:56:50 -0000

Brian Bartholomew writes:
 > > Should a vendor of free software be compelled to state the
 > > equivalent of "I'm selling this software on CD for $50, but be aware
 > > you can buy it from our competitor Acme for $2, and by the way
 > > here's their URL and phone number"?
 >
 > That's my question -- can a legitimate libre software vendor depend
 > on, and be incented to increase, informational friction?

I think you're missing the source of the value that Redhat creates.
They let people know that Redhat products exist, by advertising as
much.  Cheapbytes doesn't provide that same value, doesn't have the
same costs, and doesn't charge the same price.

Nevermind the fact that the product is the same -- the value isn't.