Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 12 Nov 1998 18:33:59 -0000

Bob Young writes:
 > Meantime we also regularly get the opposite reaction from the
 > corporate users who insist that they can't get their MIS director to
 > allow them to use an OS that only costs $50 when there is a
 > "real" OS available for $700.

Oh, well, Bob, I think the most cogent thing you, or anybody else has
said, about free software businesses, is that you're trying to turn a
$5 billion market into a $500 million market.  That's all you need to
say.  You let the listener subtract $500M from $5000M, and come to the
realization that that missing $4500M ends up staying in his budget, to
be spent on other, more useful things.

It's not that there aren't going to be jobs for programmers.  There
*are* going to be jobs.  They just aren't going to be the *same*
jobs.  And if experience tells us anything, they're going to be
higher-paying jobs, because they'll be creating more value.