Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 30 Mar 1999 19:41:45 -0000

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 >    Date: 30 Mar 1999 19:23:37 -0000
 >    From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
 >
 >     > Anyhow, arguing these details misses my larger point, which is that I
 >     > believe that people have become able to speak of the differences
 >     > between free software and open source software.
 >
 >    Some people talk about the differences between free software and
 >    GPL'ed software.

Right.  You and I know that they mean the same thing.  People who say
otherwise are misled.

 > True.  I would have expressed myself better by saying that I believe
 > that people have become able to speak of the difference between the
 > free software community and the open source community, and that this
 > wasn't true when the term ``open source'' was first invented.

Being about to talk about something doesn't mean it exists.  I have
names for, and can describe: perpetual motion machines, the Loch Ness
Monster, and monsters under the bed.  Open Source software *is* free
software.  If you have any evidence otherwise, please tell me about
it.

I think we're doing the right thing at the Open Source Initiative.
Some people will always disagree.