Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 31 Mar 1999 03:11:12 -0000

D. V. Henkel-Wallace writes:
 > At 01:09 31-03-99 +0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >I'm sure it wasn't Apple's idea; I'm sure it was persistent
 > >negotiation on the part of Apple's users.  Like all heads of state or
 > >business, Jobs is taking credit for it.  But it's the people who drove
 > >them to it.  Elites never give up power willingly.  They have to be
 > >forced, through the efforts of 10, 10K, or 10M people to do it.
 >
 > Sounds great, but I suspect exactly the opposite.
 >
 > I don't want to end up with "open source winter" which is why I care.

Hehe.  The continuing part of the analogy is that if the decision was
Apple's, and no Apple users care, then it will be a failure.  You see
the same effect when the elites force a free market on the populace.

If anybody's wondering where I'm getting all this from, it's
_Centuries of Economic Endeavor_, by John Powelson[1].  It's kind of a
depressing book, because its thesis is that the undeveloped nations
will stay that way until their elites and peasants are forced to
cooperate by a survival crisis.

[1] spot.colorado.edu/~powelsoj