Subject: Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:27:58 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     esr> Nevertheless, I hear objections that seem to issue from a
>     esr> commons model very often.
>
> Hmm.  Well, I don't.  But then, neoclassical economists who listen
> long enough to get to that point will get the species of market
> failure right ;-)

I do.  It was one of the starting points of my exploration of OSS
economics.  FWIW, Hal Varian (or his co-author) manage to mis-specify
the free-rider problem as a tragedy of the commons in "Information
Rules"  I don't recall the exact page though I believe it's toward the
last half of the book.  Might be in the index.

The mistake is even more common in lay analysis of free software,
however.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)