Subject: Re: Returns to service professionals (was Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron)
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:27:19 -0400 (EDT)

Frank Hecker writes:
 > However I do believe that (especially for the typical
 > programmer-as-employee) FSBs focused primarily on providing,
 > distributing, and supporting libre software will be potentially
 > less maximally lucrative than the other alternatives,

The long-term trend in a free market is towards lower profit margins.
There's only three possible responses: accept the lower risk of a
stable business and lower your profit margins; go out of business
(whether by design or not) and seek a more profitable business; or
seek government assistance.  The latter has proven all too profitable.

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Government schools are so