Subject: Re: eCos license [was Re: EROS license]
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:33:00 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Tiemann writes:
 >     Yeah, I've never quite understood the difference between free software
 >     and dumping.  For those people who aren't blessed to live in the US,
 >     we have this thing called antitrust.  If you sell a product for much
 >     more than the competition, you've obviously got a monopoly otherwise
 >     competition would bring the price down.  If you sell a product for the
 >     same as your competition, you've violating antitrust laws which
 >     prohibit price-fixing (collusion between vendors to support a price).
 >     And if you sell a product for much less than the competition, you're
 >     dumping product on the market in the hopes of putting your competition
 >     out of business.
 >
 > Fooey!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that just eCos was being dumped.  I'm
suggesting that you can make a case in America that ALL free software
is being dumped (that is, violating antitrust law -- a rule all too
often of men, not law).  Then again, you can also make the case that
Microsoft is violating antitrust, and if there were a competitor
selling Doors '98 for the same price as Microsoft, they'd be violating
antitrust (even if it's the price that clears the market).

But thanks for the background behind eCos.  I was wondering what it's
raisin d' entre was (besides being a dried up grape).

Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Government schools are so