Subject: Re: Returns to service professionals (was Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:12:01 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "craig" == craig  <craig@jcb-sc.com> writes:

    craig> One small, but perhaps-effective, way we can encourage the
    craig> "big players" to open up their up-and-coming
    craig> infrastructures (at least at the external, or "interface",
    craig> level) is to consistently ask them, and encourage others
    craig> (such as reporters) to ask them, questions like:

Agree, whole-heartedly.

    craig> Replace that set of open protocols with closed ones (such
    craig> as closed file formats) and replace sendmail with the MS
    craig> app annointed to implement those protocols for everyone
    craig> (total world domination, y'see ;-), and suddenly there is
    craig> *little* likelihood of alternative, robust, lean, whatever
    craig> alternatives like qmail.

Let me remind you that all alternatives to TCP/IP have died on the
vine---and that was not preordained; today, even WinNT 4.0 comes with
TCP/IP pre-checked and the proprietary alternatives listed but not
selected.

You did make that point yourself, but I think you are
under-emphasizing its power.

You'll note that MS-Word now writes HTML; it will be writing XML
shortly.

Yes, we need to oppose closed formats even more than closed
implementations.  But open source advocates are not a lone voice in
that.