Subject: Why software patents are bad
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:48:48 -0400 (EDT)

I presume that open source software is good for society -- better than
closed source software.  If I'm right, then software patents are bad
for society, because it's easier to find patent infringements when the
source code is available.

I didn't think that was a particularly profound observation, but
someone whose knowledge and background I respect told me that he'd
never heard it said before.  So, I'm saying it.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com