Subject: Re: balance
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:19:09 -0400 (EDT)

L. Peter Deutsch writes:
 > > (GPL Section 2) Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights
 > > or contest your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent
 > > is to exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or
 > > collective works based on the Program.
 >
 > That is what the GPL says, but it isn't true.  If taken literally, the GPL
 > applies to any work written entirely by me that contains even a one-word
 > "portion" copied from a GPL'ed work:

Nahhhh.  Copyright law includes the concept of "fair use".  A single
word portion isn't going to bring down the GPL on you.  Remember, the
GPL is a license to use a copyrighted work, so if it's not covered by
copyright law, the GPL doesn't apply.

 > > (GPL Section 0) ... a "work based on the Program" means ... a work
 > > containing the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with
 > > modifications and/or translated into another language.
 >
 > According to this, the GPL applies to any work that mentions (uses) names
 > defined in a GPL'ed header file.  That's like saying that every X Windows
 > application is a "derivative work" of X Windows itself.

Nahhhh.  You can't copyright lists of things.  A header file is just a
list of entry points, and constants.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com