Subject: Re: brands, trademarks, and the GPL
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

L. Peter Deutsch writes:
 > [The FSF is] ... an organization that has clearly demonstrated that
 > it cares about the rights of software users, packagers, and
 > adders-on, but not those of original software developers.

This is, I believe, an accurate characterization.  On the other hand,
those are activities, not people, and I think it's fair to say that
all of us use more software than we create.  The FSF is not antethical
to the interests of all people, even though it does not seek balance.

The business that figures out the right balance between those rights
will prosper.  As Peter points out, Ghostscript is one such company.
Redhat is another, and they have different business plans.  They're
also targetting different markets.

--
-russ nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://russnelson.com