Subject: Re: "On Virus" -- get real
From: Bernard Lang <>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:44:11 +0200

> Unless there is explicit request from an individual to be CCed, I am
> going to trim the CC list to FSB and author to whom I am responding
> (if I don't know him or her to be on FSB) on my future posts in this
> thread, should there be any.
> 	sjt>     Hereditary fails the hierarchy test; heredity is
> 	sjt> hierarchical, software reuse is not.
> 	rms> Heredity is not hierarchical in species that reproduce
> 	rms> sexually.
>     For a single characteristic, introduced as a specific mutation, the
>     graph of individuals containing that mutation is (nearly) a rooted
>     tree.
>     rms> That is one way of looking at heredity, but not the only one.
>     rms> (I was referring to another.)  To justify your conclusion,
>     rms> you would need to show that this usage is strongly at odds
>     rms> with all the natural ways.
> etc...

a major difference between virus and heredity:

 - heredity is (usually) transmitted knowingly through deliberate action
    (everyone is supposed to have read licenses)

 - virus are transmitted without awareness of the concerned people
    (hence the derogatory aspect of the thing)

  but this must have been said before.

--             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469