Subject: Re: Software quality: free vs. proprietary
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:27:58 -0700

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.uwmadison/CS-TR-95-1268
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~bart/fuzz/fuzz.html

> I would say given the results that a responsible vendor would offer
> the GNU toolset, at least as an option.  Do we have _any_ responsible
> vendors?  :-)

SCO, Sun, and HPUX all offer GNU tools through at least informal user
organizations, toolsites, etc.  Eg:  skunkworks, IIRC, for SCO.  MSFT
offers now the Interix stuff, though I'm not sure it's GNU.

>     Kragen> By "where proprietary software succeeds", do you mean
>     Kragen> "where proprietary software does not abandon the field
>     Kragen> because free software has not yet succeeded"?
>
> Yes.  By "succeed" I mean achieve clear superiority in the eyes of
> users.  This is necessarily somewhat hypothetical, it cannot be
> measured directly by the market test of who sells more.  (I'm sorry I
> wasn't more explicit about this, but I didn't realize what my
> definition was until I saw your discussion.)

Survey instruments can provide a metric however.  RedHat was touting
some Unix comparisons on different points with Linux scoring very high
in this perception, in general.  Maybe 6-12 months ago.  I believe the
usuall suspects (IDG, Gartner, Giga) have run surveys of this sort.
You're an adult, I'll let you look for them <g>.

> To the extent that free software does produce higher quality on in
> principle measurable variables ("Less crashes!"  "More long
> options!"), that is important.  But is that what users need?  Ed
> Yourdon talks (out of both sides of his mouth ;) about "zero-defect"
> and "good-enough" software.  Some users need one, others the other.
>
> We shouldn't focus on debating points like fewer crashes; my wife
> doesn't care that Windows NT left to itself for a few score hours will
> exhaust memory and slow to a crawl (if that urban legend is true)---

I tend to leave my (job site) NT station up for a week or more at a
time.  Netscape and MS Access crash periodically.  Most of my work is on
an X-Windows server (hitting Unix boxen), I'm not taxing the OS too
hard.

You'd also asked for refs on planned obsolesense or acceptable bug
levels and Microsoft or Bill Gates.  Some of the following...

http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?49884

http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html

Gates:
    No! There are no significant bugs in our released software
    that any significant number of users want fixed.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)