Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:06:50 -0500 (EST)

Richard Stallman writes:
 > However, some of the leaders of the Open Source movement actively
 > denigrate the Free Software movement and argue against it.

Yup.  This is because some people think of it as the "Crap Software"
or "Junk Software" or "Worthless Software" movement.  I'm not proud
that you are the leader of the Crap Software movement.  If you wish,
please try to coopt the Open Source movement by telling people that
anything which is Open Source is really Free Software.  The people who
think it's crap either don't hear or don't listen to you.

 > Sometimes they seem to seek to absorb the Free Software movement or
 > cause it to disappear.

Cheerfully, and without malice.

 > This rhetoric is definitely detrimental to the Free Software movement.

No, just to the name.  Open Source is all about freedom, just not
about the name of freedom.  I've made the analogy between Evangelical
Christians and Universalist Christians.  Both are Christians, but the
Evangelicals insist that the name "Jesus Christ" is all-important,
even to the point of turning away people who have accepted Jesus
Christ into their lives but who don't call Him by that name.