Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:52:24 -0700 (MST)

    Your concern is technically 100% unjustified.

As I said, this was a side issue anyway.  But I am not convinced by
your certitude.  I think you will need to model not just the broad
opinions of a few people ("software should be free") but the specific
plans and character of these people ("I'm going to develop a free
Unix-like operating system even if I have to write it all myself").

If you develop a model which can take account of such fine detail, I
think it will show such sensitive dependence on initial conditions
that drawing specific conclusions from it over useful time scales will
be harder than weather forecasting.