Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:36:29 -0500 (EST)

DJ Delorie writes:
 > Software that has proprietary changes is, by definition, no longer
 > free (as in freedom).  Free software doesn't allow proprietary
 > changes, and claims that is its strength.  Open yet non-free software
 > (like BSD) does allow proprietary changes, and claims that is its
 > strength.  Go figure.

Puhleeze, DJ, take it to gnu.misc.discuss or some other low
signal-to-noise forum.  From the perspective of this mailing list,
it's all free enough.  Heck, even qmail is free enough to base a free
software business, and Dan Bernstein denies everyone the freedom to
distribute modified sources or binaries compiled from modified source.
And I'm sure that there is other software, even less free according to
the FSF or even those heathen Open Source Initiative folks (who don't
care about freedom as long as it exists), which can be used to build a
free software business.

What I'm guessing the "free" in free software business means is simply
whether other people are free to compete with you using the same
software.  It's a freedom that neither FSF nor the OSI seems to put
any value on.